The Royal Reward Geometry Project is a group project, embedded in the context of a story, which requires students to find the area and perimeter of polygons, classify polygons, measure angles, investigate the sum of the interior angles of various polygons, and use the concept of scale.
(View Actual Pages from The Royal Reward Geometry Project)
(42 Math Lessons, Projects, and Games – 438 pages)
(6 Geometry Lessons and Projects for $21.99)
Lesson Description: The Royal Reward is a group project given in the context of a story about King Euclid and his nobles, who have recently triumphed in their battle against the neighboring kingdom of Ignorance. The project focuses on geometry and metric measurement. Students use measurement skills to calculate the area and perimeter of polygons (plots of land) including triangles, parallelograms, a trapezoid, a rhombus, and an irregular hexagon. They also classify polygons, measure angles, investigate the sum of the interior angles of various polygons, and use the concept of scale.
Math Content: Classifying Polygons, Area and Perimeter of Polygons, Measuring Angles, Decimal Operations, Sum of the Interior Angles of Polygons, Derivation of a Formula for Calculating the Sum of the Interior Angles of a Polygon, Using Scale on a Map, Metric Measurement.
Time Required: 2-4 class periods (depends on homework assigned)
Materials Needed: Rulers (cm), Protractors
Suggested Grade Level: 5th-8th
The Royal Reward Project includes:
- 1 Royal Reward assignment sheet
- 1 Royal Reward Chart
- 1 Royal Reward Chart Answer Key
- 1 Royal Reward Land Map
- 1 Royal Reward Land Map Answer Key
- 1 Royal Reward Land Map Area Worksheet
- 1 Royal Reward Land Map Area Worksheet Key
- 1 Royal Reward Land Map on centimeter grid paper
- 1 Interior Angles of Polygons Worksheet
- 1 Interior Angles of Polygons Worksheet Answer Key
- 2 Royal Reward Project Quizzes
- 2 Royal Reward Project Quiz Keys
- 3 Royal Reward Teacher Tips pages
- 1 Royal Reward Project Cover Sheet 18 pages in all!
Teacher Testimonial: The Royal Reward is a mathematical investigation that involves a number of important geometric skills (see math content above). The students enjoy working in groups and they are able to teach each other as they progress through the project. Two quizzes are provided to help assess student learning.
Enjoy your lesson!!
Mark P. Tully